Children's Sacramental Preparation
(First Reconciliation, Confirmation, Holy Communion)
Preparation for Baptism
Children who are 7 years old or older and are Not Baptized prepare for Baptism, Confirmation, and 1st Communion through the RCIC process (Rite of Christian Initiation for Children). Please contact the Director of Family Formation for more information.
If your child is younger than 7 years of age and Not Baptized, please click the following link to the Baptism parish webpage on how to get started: Preparing for the Sacrament of Baptism (Newborns Up To Age 7)
Preparation for 1st Reconciliation, Confirmation, and 1st Communion
In the Diocese of Phoenix, Baptized children normally receive the Sacraments of 1st Reconciliation, Confirmation and 1st Communion in the 2nd and 3rd Grade.
- Children in 2nd grade receive the Sacrament of 1st Reconciliation
- Children in 3rd grade who have prior religious education receive the Sacraments of Confirmation and 1st Communion at the same Mass.
The reception of Confirmation and 1st Communion together in the 3rd grade is known as Restored Order. This order differs from the order in most other dioceses where Confirmation is done separately several years after 1st Communion. For further explanation, please click on the following link: The Restored Order of Sacraments of Initiation - Diocese of Phoenix.
Preparation for 1st Reconciliation, Confirmation and 1st Communion will be provided in the regular Family Faith Formation offered on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
- If your child is Baptized and in 2nd grade, please sign up for regular 2nd grade Family Faith Formation classes offered on Tuesday or Wednesday. Please click on the following link: Tuesday/Wednesday Night Family Faith Formation for registration information.
- If your child is Baptized, in 3rd grade, and has received 1st Reconciliation, please sign up for regular 3rd grade Family Faith Formation classes offered on Tuesday and Wednesday. Please click on the following link: Tuesday/Wednesday Night Family Faith Formation for registration information.
To determine the best class placement for your child, please contact the Director of Family Formation if your child:
- Is in 3rd grade or older, but has no prior religious education
- Is in 3rd grade or older, but has not received 1st Reconciliation
- Is in 4th or 5th grade but has not received 1st Reconciliation, 1st Communion, or Confirmation.
Children who are preparing for Sacraments must:
- Be a registered parishioner at St. Mary Magdalene
- Attend weekly Mass at St. Mary Magdalene
- Enroll in and attend Family Faith Formation classes
- Attend Sacramental Retreats